Friday, March 20, 2009

Autonomy

When do children decide for themselves that homework and studying are both important parts of school and they should do it without being told? When do students decide that they have to study to be able to do well on a test? When do students decide that doing well in school sets the tone and helps them excel for the rest of their life? When does the light bulb go off where children decide to be more independent when it comes to their education or any other aspects of their life? I was speaking with a group of teachers the other day and we were discussing this very issue. Students now would rather watch TV and play video games rather than do well in school. I remember back when I was in school and I do not ever remember my parents having to tell me to go to my room and study for a test of to go do my homework. I always wanted to do those things to make myself better. Why have some students lost their self-motivation? Why do they not want to better themselves? It is beyond me and I wish I knew the answer. I wish there was something teachers could do to light this fire under students to make then desire to read and desire to do well in class and try to succeed. I am not talking about all students because some did receive this trait as most teachers did when they were younger. I am talking about the other students who do not seem to care if they succeed or not. If there is something you know of they will encourage students to want to do some of these things for themselves, please let me know. Until then I will keep encouraging my students to study and work hard for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment