Friday, March 20, 2009

Graduate School or not?

Should teachers, as soon as they graduate from their prestigious institution, go back to school for their master's degree right away, wait a few years and then go back, or do not strive for it at all? Or should you go for your master's while you are teaching? This is the particular delimma I am facing. There are so many different possiblities that I am having trouble deciding what I should do! From many professors I have definitely heard both sides of the coin on whether to wait or go for your master's right away. Every teacher definitely seems to have a very strong opinion concerning timelyness of graduate school. Here are the opinions I have weighed:

- Immediately go get my Master's:
- I would be more educated and more specialized to benefit my students.
- Higher pay scale
- Less likely to aquire a job during this hard economy.

- Teach for a few years and then go back:
-I would experience that might be helpful during grad school.
- Since I would be used to the steady income with teaching, it might be hard to give that up
and go back to school.
- I believe I would have a better chance of being hired back with experience than without.

- Master's while teaching:
- It would take longer to achieve master's.
- Challenging when first time teacher.

One professor made the point of saying "not too many school systems want to pay $6,000 more a year for a teacher who does not have any experience." I can see his point. Also, I do believe teaching experience would help when having success in graduate school. But on the other hand, I believe I would like to finish school completely and then start teaching. This is the particular delimma that has been troubling me for many months. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment