Monday, January 12, 2009

Dress Codes

Since I went to private school for fourteen years of my life, some people assume I had to wear a uniform for school. I most certainly did not. We had a vote in 10th grade whether or not we wanted uniforms. You can imagine the outcome of a10th grade vote on the subject. Anyway, now I see why some schools are switching to uniforms for school. I see so many students in the elementary schools who are wearing T-shirts that have alcohol advertised or suggestive comments. Even though they might not think any thing of it, it will probably affect them later in life. I also see girls wear shirts that are too short, too tight, too see-through, and these students are in the elementary schools! It says so much about those parents who let their little girls walk out of the house with more skin being shown than actual clothes on. As a teacher, I believe these types of clothing choices make it extremely hard for teachers to stay focused on their teaching and for boys to stay focused on their learning. I do not believe we need to encourage boys at a young age to let their eyes wander. With saying this, I believe in some situations, a more strict dress code is needed. I don't believe there is any way where having a strict dress code or even uniforms would be detrimental to the student's learning. In my opinion it can only help. Sure students are not going to want to wear the same thing every day to school, like I did not, but I think it would be a good change with the fashions that are coming into style these days. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment