Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"What the peanut butter and jelly?"

Have you ever gone into the schools and noticed how many times "What the ___?" is said by students in one day? They rarely finish the sentence, but I feel it is just as bad as if they did. They say it whenever they feel like it, even if it does not fit the situation. For example, if a child can not figure out a multiplication problem, then look confused and frustrated and say "What the ___?" I don't understand it. "What the macaroni and cheese?" "What the steak and gravy?" I have wondered how they finish the sentence if they weren't around me or other elders who would undoubtedly punish them for not even completing the sentence. Oh, do not even start to think this is all your little angel says at school. I have heard so many interesting things that I can't even fathom to understand what they are trying to say. It is like they have invented their own pronunciation of some derogatory term they have heard on TV. It is almost like the "My bad" trend of the "Girlfriend!!" trend that has thankfully passed. These phrases were just annoying and seemed to come after every sentence. I guess I should be thankful because I havn't heard them used in a derogatory way. All day long I am playing a game to try and figure out what they are saying and trying to decipher whether it was meant to be bad or not. Teachers and parents need to work together to show students that even know a word or phrase is said on TV, doesn't mean that it is right or appropriate to repeat. If I were a parent, I would definitely not like to hear about my child saying "What the ___?" even if they don't finish the sentence. It is bad enough all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment